In 2023, why are schools still segregated?

Schools are still segregated due to the racism of the government. In this module I learned how schools are still being segregated today, even though segregation laws have been abolished. In the YouTube video “The disturbing history of the suburbs,” Adam Conover explains that due to redlining neighborhoods with African-Americans and minorities were unable to receive loans and they were not allowed to live in white neighborhoods (Conover, 2017). These laws have been abolished, however, the African-Americans and minorities still did not have money to buy a home, so they were still unable to move out of these areas. These areas still exist and what happens is the white neighborhoods have higher property taxes so the schools in those areas have better funding. The schools in the African-American and minority neighborhoods are not receiving near as much funding. The government set African-Americans and minorities up for these conditions and it is unfair that it is still happening today. In the same video, Nikole Hannah-Jones explains that to this day banks will still charge African-Americans and minorities higher rates on home loans (Hannah-Jones, 2017). This surprised me and took me back, I had to rewind to make sure I heard her correctly. This is unfair and should be illegal. It makes no sense why someone is being charged more due to the color of their skin or their ethnicity. It is important to know this as a future teacher because I am aware of the history and why neighborhoods and areas are set up the way they are.

Works Cited

Conover, A. [CollegeHumor]. (2017, October 4). The disturbing history of the suburbs – Adam ruins everything [video]. YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETR9qrVS17g


Comments

  1. Hi Taryn! The government has failed people of color for many years and still to this day there has been no real change. I agree that it is both unfair and should be illegal to do. After watching the YouTube video with Adam Conover I became aware of just how rigged the system is. I was in complete and utter shock when I learned about redlining. I felt ashamed that I did not know about this until today. It is so evident that there is such a divide when it comes to communities and the neighborhoods where people live. The neighborhoods that are more run down are also the neighborhoods that are more likely to have people of color. It was always right in front of my face but I was oblivious to why it was like that. With the information that we were given in this module we as future teachers have to encourage and advocate for more funding in minority schools. I really enjoyed reading your response it was well written with great evidence to support it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexi! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I appreciate all the comments and thoughts that you added on to my blog post! I absolutely could not agree more with your first sentence, “the government has failed people of color for many years and still to the day there has been no real change.” This is such a true statement, and the government “enacts” laws to stop the segregation, however they are not doing anything to make sure that it is not happening. I also feel like growing up I knew there was a divide, but I never fully understood it until I heard about redlining this week. It saddened me that this is not something that is being taught in schools. I think that if schools taught histories, such as this one, students would be more understanding of what is happening. I could not agree more that it is part of our responsibility now to make sure that schools in minority neighborhoods are being given the same opportunities as schools in white neighborhoods.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Whose are told and whose remain in the margins?

What lengths am I willing to go to in order to do right by every child?